Sunday, October 7, 2012

Run, Joey Run!



This morning was the Steamtown Marathon, an annual event here in Scranton and a fantastic opportunity for me to see downtown all hustle and bustling before 11am.  I decided to go see the event at the finish line as it's right down the block from our house and I thought I might find some good inspiration for me as I continue my training.  Yup, that's right, I'm signed up to complete my first 1/2 marathon next month in the Philadelphia Marathon and I'm really excited for the challenge.  If you know me, you'll know I was a big runner back in high school on the cross country team and then had a slight "hiatus"- let's call it - during my time at Nova.  But in addition to the challenges of working and living JVC this year I've decided to add some additional challenges to my roster, one of which has been to work my way back into running shape.  So I will be running in the Philadelphia half-marathon next month (Nov. 18, if anyone's in the area!) and I'm really pumped for it.  

Anyway, I went to the event this morning and I had an absolute blast.  At JVC orientation, they taught us about a concept called "Self Care" which essentially means taking some time for oneself to recenter and keep yourself sane, in a way.  I've been using running as my preferred method of self care this year, as it gives me time by myself to think and clear my head.  This event, however, gave me so much more than just a clear mind.  I spent the morning watching loved ones cheer on Fathers, Mothers, Children, Friends and everything in between.  The entire time I was there, I must confess I felt nervous that at any moment someone was going to stop me and ask "Hey, who are you here for?" and I would have to sheepishly confess that I didn't know anyone running in this race.  That I was that creepy guy come to spectate without knowing any of the participants.  I continually had to remind myself that no such accusations were going to happen.  Firstly because this was not some sort of members only event where proof of membership would need be presented (although Pennsylvania does have events like those - see Election Day 2012).  And secondly because this was not the kind of event at which people need a "good reason" for being there.  We're all there for the same good reason, to congratulate and cheer on the runners as they complete this incredibly challenging test of physical endurance.  So after that initial discomfort, I found myself among a crowd of supporters cheering on each individual as they came down the last 200-m stretch.



^There were teams of volunteer medical staff on hand at the finish and then throngs of people there just to provide food, water, an encouraging word, whatever the runners needed after they finished their grueling 26.2 miles.  Among the crowds, there were families and friends, fellow runners who had already finished the race and just about everyone had a sign in hand, cowbell for ringing, or the sheer strength of their vocal chords to add to the roar of cheers.  Some were more light hearted and this one in particular made me laugh:



Anyway, I tell you this story because of the impact the event had on me and my life journey today.  Seeing all those runners complete the marathon gave me such confidence in my own ability to do the same next month (alright, mine's only a 1/2 marathon...but gimme a break I'm working up to it!).  I decided to head out for my "long run" today as my schedule calls for an 8 miler to keep up with the training and so my housemate Caroline and I went up to Lake Scranton to run.  I had such an amazing run today and I'm sure it is in part due to the enthusiasm I experienced at the marathon this morning.  Actually, as I made my way around Lake Scranton twice today, I happened upon 3 other runners who seemed to be trekking equally far and at about the same pace (we were running in opposite directions on the lake's path, though, so we passed each other 3 times).  On the third time around we broke the usually unspoken rule about contact with strangers during exercise and exchanged hi-fives and encouraging words as we passed each other.  When I finished up, we got to talking and I found out that they too were training for a half marathon, theirs later this month in Hershey, PA.  

Though these events may seem trivial, I couldn't help but appreciate the connectedness felt between these strangers and myself as we bonded over a common cause.  It was the same connectedness that I found meeting and congratulating strangers today at the marathon.  For just a brief moment, all of these people become equally important, no matter their gender, education level, socioeconomic status, etc.  When you cheer them on as they're finishing that race, you're not cheering them on because of any of those ancillary aspects of who they are.  You're cheering for them as a person, another person riding around on this little blue sphere of ours and for a brief moment we experience what it's like to really love another person for being just that, another person.  I have found running to be an excellent method of Self Care over the past few months as it's a means of separating from other people and refocusing my attention.  But today I found that running can act as a means of care for others as well, that when we drop all our pre-judgements and assumptions about other people and just see them as people there's the potential for connectedness with strangers that would not otherwise exist.  So I'm gonna keep on running and hopefully continue to discover that connectedness with other people as I do so.  

Thanks for reading!
Tom

P.S. to explain the title...that song was just stuck in my head all morning as I watched the race.  I know, kinda cheesy and not at all the theme of the post if you know the song, but there it is.  

P.P.S. Had to attach one more picture of a Scranton sunset from yesterday, it kind of reminds me of the fictional sky city from the Star Wars movies.  Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment