Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The House on Moosic Street



Sorry it's been such a long time since an update!  The last two weeks have just been a whirlwind of activity and new things, I hardly find the time to check my computer (which makes the Simple Living commitment easier, I suppose!).  But so how about I catch you up in chronological order?

First, I headed off to JVC Orientation on August 9th and found myself in Blue Ridge, PA.  Shortly thereafter, I was SURROUNDED by other young men and women who were committing a year of service to the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.  I have to admit, it was nice to meet so many people who were going through the same things I was, asking the same questions and harboring the same concerns about the year ahead.  Suffice it to say that the 5 day Orientation program did a fantastic job of quelling many of those concerns as we spent time getting to know the JVC staff for the Baltimore office (responsible for all of the volunteers serving in the NE United States).  We listened to talks given by former members of the Corps (knows as FJVs - Former Jesuit Volunteers) as well as professionals in areas like conflict management and spiritual development to help us prepare for the year ahead.  Perhaps most exciting of all, though, we were introduced to our NEW HOUSEMATES for the upcoming year, and I met: Abbie, Ally, Caroline & David (you may have guessed...the people in the photo above! In order, skipping me) Who I will be living and serving with for the next year in Scranton, PA.  But I'm getting ahead of myself, we did some pretty cool stuff during Orientation in addition to hearing talks, for example the retreat center bordered an entrance to the Appalachian Trail and one morning about 13 of us got up at ~5:00am to hike 8.5 miles of the trail for one crazy morning workout!

We hiked across the Mason Dixon line as we crossed into Maryland.  And Emily was SO ecstatic to recreate this moment from "A Walk to Remember"
A dramatic interpretation of "what lies ahead" as we begin our journey hiking...and with JVC.

Quick! Photo shoot on these cool rocks!
As it turned out, only a few of us actually made it to the TOP of the mountain (there was a time crunch to make breakfast...and certain priorities simply trump all else) BUT! My roommate Caroline and I were among those who successfully scaled the top of the mountain, and I shot this pensive pic of her from the top.

View from the top of the mountain, worth every step of the journey to get there.
After that crazy adventure, I was sure nothing else was going to top my list of Orientation moments.  But, as I'm becoming accustomed to with this program, nothing is ever quite as I expect it's going to be.  We spent the last two nights of Orientation celebrating the mission the 80-something of us were about to embark upon.  A Jesuit priest came to bless us on our journey and to commission us into the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.  That was perhaps the first moment at which reality fully set in and I came to understand the magnitude of what I'm attempting to do this year.  As overwhelming as it was to see all of the JVs from the Northeast together in one place, I was in awe of the significance and impact JVs from all across the country and the globe might have as they set out to work towards common goals and ideals.  Little did I know, I was still ostensibly missing the 'big picture' still.  But I'll get to that in just a bit...
This is the sunset from Blue Ridge, PA on one of our last nights together at Orientation.
I had met so many great people at Orientation and I had just begun to feel comfortable and adjusted to that place when, you guessed it, we picked up and moved again!  This time to our final destination of Scranton, PA.  Admittedly, leaving orientation was quite difficult for me, although I knew I would see these people again at other retreats throughout the year - and perhaps on some fun visits throughout the year - there was something special about the newness of those relationships that I was hard pressed to leave behind.  Still, I was ready and willing to commit to the program I had signed up for, and we loaded up our cars and drove to the buzzing metropolis of Scranton...OK, so it's not quite a metropolis, but it has some city-esqe features.  My housemates and I were instantly surprised at how nice our accommodations in Scranton were.  We live in an old house on one of the major artery roads of Scranton, Moosic Street.  The house used to belong to our current landlords great grandparents, and had recently been reacquired into the family and renovated for use as the JVC house for Scranton (we are only the 2nd group of volunteers to live here) and the house is just magnificent.  It has high ceilings on the first floor and enough bedrooms on the second for us each to have our own space.  In fact, I'm sitting in my room right now as I write this posting and - I dare say - this is arguably the biggest amount of personal living space I've ever had.  

To add to our initial positive impression, we were greeted on that first night by 4 FJVs from the local Scranton area, two couples, who played instrumental roles in establishing the JVC program here in Scranton and keeping it going by acting as a support team for the JVs living here.  They cooked us dinner and answered about 1,000 questions we had about Scranton and JVC.  Not to brag, but in one short week I'm starting to really get the hang of this city!  And as if the warm welcome from our FJV friends wasn't enough, they held a party for us (at our own house!) at which we got to meet several other FJVs in the Scranton area, all of whom extended their warm welcomes and offers to help us in any way we might need.  It was perhaps at this moment - shortly following the party - when I came to discover the underestimation I had made in my previous understanding of JVC.  The network of this organization stretches beyond just current volunteers serving across the U.S. and the globe, to members who have served in all of those places over many years and give so selflessly of their time and energies to continue this program.  I suspect it has something to do with the core purpose and commitment of the program that really resonates with volunteers and stays with them long after they complete their year(s) of service.  Either way, I'm more excited than ever to be part of such an amazing group of people and to begin my own journey as a JV.

And so, finally this week my housemates and I have begun work at our respective job placements.  Two of my roommates work at a center for individuals with severe mental and physical limitations called St. Joseph's Center.  One of my roommates is serving as the Youth Minister for two local parishes (Scranton, by the way, is perhaps the epicenter of the world, where churches are concerned.  I haven't seen so many churches in one city since traveling Italy, and still this town may take the cake).  Another roommate will be working right across the street from me at a resource distribution center called Friends of the Poor.  And I will be working at United Neighborhoods Center (or UNC...yes I confused it with the school at first too).  I'm working with the youth programs there, although the organization is so large that there seem to be opportunities to get involved in just about anything you can think of in the Scranton area as a part of UNC.  I've thoroughly enjoyed my first few days of work so far, although I'll have to update you on more details of the job after I've got a little more experience under my belt.  As it's getting late, and I have work early in the morning, I think that'll have to be all for now.  As always, thank you to whoever is reading this for your support.  Know that I think of everyone back home often, and I'm praying you guys are off to as awesome a start to the next year as I am!  For peets sake, just check out the view from my office window:  
...and I was worried Scranton was going to be an ugly place (don't quote me on that come winter time, though!).  

Love always, 
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment