Tuesday, July 31, 2012

4 Core Values of JVC

The countdown is OFFICIALLY 9 DAYS 'TILL ORIENTATION!

Which means...I should probably explain a little more about this endeavor I'm about to embark on to all you lovely people.  The easiest way I can think of explaining is by delineating the fundamental pillars of the JVC program itself.  These 4 core values have been an essential part of the application process, my acceptance into the program, and will surely continue to influence my experience over the next year.  The four core values of JVC are (in no particular order): Spirituality, Simple Living, Community & Social Justice.

As far as Spirituality is concerned, I expect the JVC is - unsurprisingly - heavily influenced by the teachings of St. Ignatius who, if you're unfamiliar, was the founder of the Society of Jesus (aka the Jesuits!).  As such, I expect the spirituality experience will include a combination of contemplative prayer, self-reflection, and - hopefully - self-discovery.  St. Ignatius is perhaps most remembered for the quote: "go forth and set the world on fire", I suspect that during my time volunteering, we will be challenged to discover exactly what that means in our lives, how it is that we can effectively "set the world on fire" through this year of service.

Simple Living: This value is the one I personally feel I have the most "experience" with, if you will.  Every service endeavor I've taken part in from junior high soup kitchens through mission trips during my years at Villanova have challenged me to consider what it means to live simply.  I can remember one definition that resonates especially well with me - and had a special meaning to a loved one in my life - that during our service we "live simply so others may simply live" - Ghandi.

Community: the value I am most anxious to discover more about, as this aspect of my year of service centers not around myself and my own decisions, but all of the people living in my community during our year in Scranton, PA.  The Scranton community will be residing in the Jane Jacobs house during our year of service, exploring together questions of how best to live out these Ignatian values and - presumably - growing together as a community in the process.

The last value of Social Justice is perhaps the most rhetorically-loaded term thus far, as it inevitably encompasses just about anything you might define as "justice" in the world today.  With the variety of different strong opinions on this topic I'll restrict my definition to simply stating that, as a part of my welcoming information into the JVC, I was encouraged to read a short article by David Hilfiker called The Limits of Charity which took a surprisingly critical view of the type of "charity" work that is sometimes confused with "justice" in today's day and age.  I found the article very helpful in developing my understanding of what Social Justice is, and hopefully this yearlong experience will further that understanding.

I suppose it's time to get packing for Orientation, saying the final goodbyes to family & friends, etc.  This may be my last update for a while, seeing as I am unsure of my access to 'the blogosphere' during orientation.  But, as always, your continued following and support are very much appreciated.
God Bless,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment